Skip to main content

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

If you want to complete an internship or co-op off-campus throughout the summer break, you must participate in the CPT program. 

US Goverment Guidelines for CPT/OPT

Information international students need to know about CPT:

  1. You begin by securing an internship or co-op. As in covered in the guidelines for CPT/OPT above, the internship or co-op must be related to your program of study. It must be related to your major. It cannot be related to a minor. 
  2. After securing the position and receiving your offer letter, complete the CPT Application. Please note, you must login, then you'll see an option for CPT Application. 
    1. Note: The offer letter must include your supervisor's name and contact information, start and end dates for the position, physical address where you'll be working, and salary information.
  3. Once you've completed the form, email Susan Wood to confirm receipt of your information at 
  4. Once received, the office of Career & Professional Development will review the application materials and approve the CPT position. 
  5. After approval, Career & Professional Development will complete the registration form for the appropriate course for the term through the registrar and notify the student that their application has been approved.
    1. Note: Career & Professional Development will also work with the ISS for required updates.
  6. Three to four weeks prior to the end of the semester, an evaluation form will be sent to the supervisor that was listed to be completed and sent back to the office of Career & Professional Development.
  7. After completing your experience, meet with Career & Professional Development to update your resume!